|You are here: Home > Ocean Climate Laboratory > OCL Products > XBT Bias > Gouretski and Reseghetti corrections|
Application of corrections to original XBT data
Note: The procedure is essentially like in Gouretski and Reseghetti, 2010, but with a time-variable depth correction factor.
1) All XBT sample depths are re-computed (if nesessary) according to the SIPPICAN FRE
2) XBT observed temperature is corrected for thermal bias according to the time (year) of the observation (see thermal_bias correction files)
T-corrected = T-observed - Thermal_Bias
3) Depth correction factor ("stretching") is calculated using the following formula
(as in Gouretski and Reseghetti, 2010, but with different numerical values of the coefficients).
4) This "nominal" depth-depending stretching factor is further modified depending on the deviation of the XBT-profile
mean temperature (tmean_profile) from the "nominal" mean temperature (tmean_nominal). (Values of tmean_nominal are given in
Here mean temperature refers to the mean temperature within the respective layer between the ocean surface and the sample depth (Z)
for which the correction is calculated.
5) "Observed" (Sippican) XBT sample depth is now finally corrected:
V. Gouretski, 31 May 2010, KlimaCampus, Hamburg
|Last modified: Thu, 23-Apr-2015 19:57 UTC||NCEI.email@example.com|
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
USA.gov - The U.S. Government's Web Portal