Terms of Reference
REVISED TERMS OF REFERENCE AND COMPOSITION FOR THE STEERING GROUP ON THE GLOBAL TEMPERATURE AND SALINITY PROFILE PROGRAMME (GTSPP)
The Steering Group shall conduct the program for the collection and management of temperature and salinity data sets to support IODE (International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange) and JCOMM (Joint Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology) requirements with the following Terms of Reference and general membership.
- Provide scientific and technical guidance for the program in the implementation and enhancement of the GTSPP including:
- Near real time data (observations within 30 days) acquisition;
- Non real time data (observations older than 30 days or data never circulated on the Global Telecommunication System) acquisition;
- Communications infrastructures;
- Quality control and analysis procedures;
- Continuously managed database;
- Ocean data and meta data standards; and
- Data and information products.
- In conjunction with user groups and data collectors, design and implement data flow monitoring systems to ensure that the data are collected, processed and distributed according to agreed schedules and responsibilities.
- Collaborate with international Climate Observing System) and GOOS (Global Ocean Observing System) to assemble process and disseminate data managed by GTSPP.
- Actively promote the GTSPP and provide information to the users of GTSPP services, such as the planners of international science programs.
- Provide GTSPP status reports and other requested material to the IODE committee and JCOMM ETDMP, to international programs in which GTSPP is a participant.